Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

CS732 & SE450 Guest Lecture

I recently finished my ME at Auckland University and was privileged to be invited to give a couple of guest lectures to the current undergraduates.  It was a great opportunity and something definitely worth writing about.


I prepared a presentation outlining my research etc and used that as a teaching aid.  I was extremely nervous before giving the first lecture, it was a computer science honours class and I wasn't at all familiar with any of the students there but nervousness soon faded away and then it just felt like I was talking about my work to my peers.  I did feel like I rushed the presentation but I guess that happens naturally when you are slightly nervous.  Although one positive did come out of that, I had plenty of time to give a live demo of my tool which is always a good thing while talking.

The second lecture I was meant to give was on the next day but unfortunately I could not stick to that schedule as I was feeling a bit under the weather.  So we rescheduled and finally managed to give the lecture two days later.  This time it was a 4th year software engineering class.  Great class and the students were nothing like how "we" were back in university, they did actually listen...this time around the lecture seemed easier as I was familiar with the students and had tutored them the year before.  The lecture went well but unfortunately I could not give them a live demo of the tool as my laptop had no battery left :(.  Nonetheless the lecture finished early so I am sure the students must have been glad.

To sum things up...it was a great experience.  Giving a talk about something you spent a whole year on...designing and implementing is really easy.  Mind you this is me talking in hindsight...at the time I was shaking in my boots :)

Downloads: Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment